It’s the season of romance – the time to cozy up with someone special or bundle up and hit the town. And that means you need winter date night outfits that look and feel great.
Whether you’re going on a first date or celebrating a milestone anniversary (or anywhere in between), your outfit should feel special. But that doesn’t mean shopping for a brand new wardrobe.
Ahead, we’re sharing our favorite ways to gussy up your go-to staples and share a few new items that could elevate your date night attire. So stay in, go out, or simply see where the evening takes you. These winter date night outfits will help you feel smoking hot even when the weather is icy cold!
First Date Outfit
You’re a bundle of nerves for a first date – the last thing you should be stressing over is your outfit. For laid-back first dates, we recommend pairing a simple top with jeans and adding a pair of fun boots. Layer on a statement jacket to make an impact, or bundle up with your go-to coat.
The number-one rule for a first date outfit is that you should feel confident in it. So avoid anything that doesn’t lay right or squeezes too tight.
Still looking for your go-to blouse that makes you feel sexy and confident? Check out these cute blouses for women that are great for layering and perfect for your winter wardrobe.
If you’ve been with your partner for a while, a special occasion is perfect for dressing up and reigniting some of that early passion. A birthday, anniversary, or romantic getaway are all great times to make a fancy dinner reservation or book a seat at the live theater.
For these nights on the town, you’ll want to wear a dress or a dressy jumpsuit. Deep jewel tones are perfect for winter, and you can dress them up by adding sparkling jewelry and a chic handbag.
Long sleeves reign supreme during these cold months, and heavy materials like velvet and wool will help keep you warm.
How To Turn All-Season Clothes Into Winter Date Night Outfits
It’s definitely possible to wear your strappy dress or lightweight materials in winter. Layering will help keep you warm while looking totally chic. Here are some of our favorite ways to turn any dressy ensemble into a winter-ready look:
- Add a coat: Calf-length coats go great with dresses or jumpsuits. Or you could go bold with a faux-fur shawl or a trendy cape.
- Heavy pantyhose or tights: This is easy to do under a full-length jumpsuit, but it’s trickier with a dress. Look for tights that match your dress colors or something in a shiny black hue. A slick pair of heels will help you look more grown up.
- High-cut boots will help keep your feet cozy and warm.
Maybe your big date night doesn’t include any big plans. How about heading out for a walk and seeing where your feet take you? This is especially romantic under the glow of Christmas lights, or during a romantic vacation.
But you still should be camera-ready for your romantic walk. After all, you may find yourself dining in a new restaurant, posing with some scenery, or simply wanting to dress to impress.
Cute midi dresses are a great way to feel chic and comfy while you stroll hand-in-hand. Pair it with walkable boots, or go bold by wearing fun sneakers. Choose a heavy cardigan or coat that lands just above or below your hem, or opt for a waist-length jacket to highlight your dress while giving your body a balanced look.
A Winter Wedding
A wedding always makes for a great date night. If you’re lucky enough to be invited to a winter wedding, you can have a lot of fun with your outfit.
When deciding what to wear, you need to find out the wedding’s dress code. It’s often listed on the wedding website or invitation. If not, you can use these clues:
- A city wedding is typically dressier, especially if it’s at night. Choose a cocktail dress or another outfit for a special occasion.
- A barn wedding will be more casual – think about a Sunday Best outfit, or maybe look for flowy maxi dresses.
- Solid, low-key colors, like jewel tones in lace or velvet, tend to work well for various dress codes, so they’re great if you’re unsure what to wear.
Other Winter Date Night Outfit Ideas
From flowing maxi dresses to chic cocktail attire, winter is a great chance to show off your creativity and style. After all, layering isn’t about hiding your clothes – it’s a chance to show off more of your favorite pieces.
Here are a few more winter date outfit ideas that you’ll love:
- Mix materials: try pairing a leather jacket with a velvet dress, or a tweed blazer with a silk blouse.
- Sparkles are always a good idea. If you’re having a more casual date, layer a cardigan over a sequin top, or accessorize with a glitzy handbag.
- And then there is our favorite winter date idea: a cozy night in, cuddled for with a movie. For this one, wear your favorite pajamas, a cute sweatshirt set, or matching couple’s robes.
Ready to begin planning your winter wardrobe? Don’t forget to plan your date night outfits! After all, winter is the perfect season to fall in love.